Tuesday, October 10, 2017

how smartphones hijack our minds

Thanks to Leslie, I just realized that the article below has a paywall that prevents you from reading the whole thing. Rather than complain about this, I'd like to report three things we can learn from this moment: 
1) Reading the first paragraph of the article has value, because it clarifies how much we use our smartphones by citing research that puts a number on it (we look at those things at least 80 times each day!) 
2) The fact that the Wall Street Journal makes us pay for this is a lesson in economics and culture -- what does it tell you? 
3) Internet (and especially social media) companies who monetize data (that is, they let you use their services for free and then sell all your data) are doing some serious damage to the fabric of our society. Don't take my word for it-- read this editorial (which I think is available for free :) by Pierre Omidyar, founder of ebay. 


You've heard some of this from me already-- check out the rest in this Wall Street Journal article.


6 comments:

  1. The Wall Street Journal web page is requiring me to either subscribe or sign in in order to see the full article. Do you want the class to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conspiracy theories run through my mind once in a while when a situation comes up once in a while or often. It feels that cell phones are consuming our every day Life and is controlling us in a certain way. Maybe the article has a sense of why this is happening, which is why you have to pay for it and don't want to just give it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cell phones are consumed everyday like Pablo said cellphones are taking away our privileges to see reality and surrounding and see it off a screen that wont last long why not admire whats around us ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what reason do users most likley put their phone down for ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is that now we use our cell phones a lot ? Why did we get soo addicted to them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work best cell phone deals

    ReplyDelete

thank you

As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...