Wednesday, February 21, 2018

an open question

There are always so many things competing for our attention.  Usually, it takes less than a day or two for even the biggest news to disappear as the next wave of headlines takes over.

But this week is different.  The mass shooting in Parkland, Florida is still being discussed in national mainstream media.  Students and families and educators around the country are sending a powerful message: NO MORE.

Here at Santa Maria High School we've had our own moment to consider the issue.  We talked about it in class yesterday.  Then Estefany shared this item on her blog, and it got me to thinking: what's next?  Will we forget?  Laugh it off?  Do something that will create meaningful change?

The honest answer is, I don't know.  That three word phrase -- I don't know -- is the beginning of all learning.  Sharing it with you in this way is the heart of Open Source Learning.  I would really appreciate it if you'd comment to this post with your ideas about how we can connect with others who care about this issue and contribute to a national movement that absolutely, positively has to succeed.

Thanks for reading.  I look forward to reading your ideas and/or discussing in class. 

*UPDATE: You can read what the Parkland students are doing about this issue HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I don’t think it’s anything to laugh about or forget about. This is a serious topic because especially our school has a gun shop Infront on Ethel Pope, I mean any one can come out of the store and blast all of us in school plus our school campus is very wide open anyone can jump the fences and enter pretending to be a “student” plus our securities aren’t even that good of a team. They should check backpacks just in case they have illegal things in school campus. I don’t even feel safe in my own school because of all the violence we have here in the community. Yesterday on Snapchat (SnapMap) all of the Schools in Florida had a walkout because of what happened in Douglas, there needs to be more gun control everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

thank you

As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...