Wednesday, April 11, 2018

period 3 ignite talks

Alondra: How can I become a marine biologist?  My plan is to attend a 2-year and then transfer to Hawaii or Santa Cruz.  I am also interested in astronomy.  It takes a long time to study the stars.

Alex: Why do parents think video games are bad for you?  Most parents don't like them because they are violent and addictive.  I think they are good and I want to research why.

Yoselyn: After high school I want to attend a four-year university and study marine biology.  I also want to run a local organic farm as a business that provides community products like smoothies.  I also want to work for the CIA because I think it's good to have multiple careers.

Estefany: Why do we have racism?  What will happen if we have more race riots or if we return to segregation? 

Kevin: Why is music looked down upon?  Our parents tell us to be doctors, lawyers, and make money-- I actually got grounded for playing the guitar.  I want to pursue music because it's my passion, and I wanted to play to see if I had skills that I can develop.

Erick: Why are there so many atheists in the world?  Why do people keep on sinning?

Adrian: My original Big Question was, How can someone push themselves beyond their limits?  Now my big question is what the f*ck am I doing after high school?

Thais: How is the South different from the West Coast?  I lived in Georgia and Alabama, and it was very different.  Here there are more Mexicans, and the schools are different too.  There the hallways are inside, and even though they got less funding the food was better and the announcements were made on TV.  The housing was different too.  So was the food-- there was more meat, and bread, and they had popcorn chicken.

Juanita: I look forward to becoming a cosmetologist.  I will get into a training program.

Isaiah: I am the owner of Xicano Records.  I am following my passion by collecting and sharing some of the best, hard-to-find records in the world.

Luis:

Maria: Why are so many people being changed by their peers?  I had a friend in 7th grade, and in a short period of time when I didn't see her, she changed so dramatically that I didn't recognize her.  She went from being a great student to wearing black and [TIME]

Christian: What will I do after high school?  I want to become a mechanic, and over Spring Break I worked on a few cars to practice my skills.  I plan to attend UTI for 2 years and then either open my own shop or work for a dealer or a mechanic.

Evelyn: What are we all going to do after high school?  I have relatives who work in the wine industry and retail, but one of them recently told me that she has a lifestyle and a dog, but that she doesn't have what she really wants.  What is your dream?

Iris: What is the FBI?  What are the requirements for working there?  I don't know if I want to work there, but why do others?  It seems cool but scary.  I did some research on the specific requirements and I thought it was interesting because the FBI is famous but we don't really know much about it.

Aron: Who is the music group Broadhampton and why are they important?  They are a group of rappers, designers, and producers.  Last year they released three albums.

Fatima: How can I determine which career is best for me?  One option is Registered Nurse but that takes a lot of school.  I am also considering becoming a medical assistant, or a social worker, or joining the Marines.

Gabriel: I'm curious about what I'll do after I graduate.  I'm thinking about the Air Force and then becoming a firefighter or a mechanic.  Currently I'm taking apart a big block Chevy to practice.

Jose L: What makes us happy? 1. Money  2. Friends  3. Family  4. Music  NONE OF THE ABOVE.  We are all different and different things make us happy.

Jose R: How can I build my clientele as a barber?  I am learning about marketing on social media.  People tell people about their haircuts.  I take my time to do a good job so I can get better at it.  I am going to work in a barbershop and get my license.

Joanha: How is Spain different from Mexico?  I traveled to Spain over Spring Break.  People dress fancier there.  The food and language is similar but different.  College is cheaper in Spain.  Classes are 19 Euros each.

Griselda: Why do we have to take classes in school that don't have anything to do with our career?  Some classes change our thinking.  In this class, for example, I gave a presentation on becoming an immigration lawyer but now I'm thinking about child development.

Oscar: How can I open up my own store?  I want to open a jewelry store and a clothing store.  My brother makes clothes, and I've always been interested in jewelry.  I want to have a place for people to get cool jewelry and clothes.

Emanuel: I want to focus on Internet safety.  It's weird that someone can hack into your account and take your information, and I want to guard against that.

Saul: What do I need to know to become a mechanical engineer?  I started by researching this on Google and YouTube.  I want to specialize in engines, and I learn that I will need a master's degree-- this will take six years at university.  For now I will continue making money by selling shoes.

Giselle: Will I graduate?  Since first grade I have never been a fan of school.  I am behind in credits but I want to get back on track because I am interested in studying criminology and forensic science.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point I wanted to get across after talking about who Brockhampton is what impact they’ve actually made. In their lyrics they rap about things such as being sad being gay being respectful of women. This makes them different and more appealing to different froups of people. Sending positive messages and ideals through really good music.

    ReplyDelete

thank you

As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...