Tuesday, March 13, 2018

put on blast

Twice in the last two days I've heard this phrase from students (one student used it in a story about another teacher, and one student felt like I did it to him).  I thought I knew what the phrase meant, but every generation uses phrases a little differently, so I consulted Urban Dictionary just to be sure.



I don't support the idea of embarrassing people or making anyone uncomfortable.  I care about students and I root for each and every person in my life (students, family members, friends) to succeed.

However, sometimes being a good friend or mentor means being honest.  If you're not getting the job done, you need to know so you can do it better.  That's true for me too!  If anyone has suggestions for me, I'm open.  In the meantime, I want to make it clear in our learning community: the way I show respect is to be clear, honest, and consistent with you, and I expect the same in return.  If I say something clumsy that makes you uncomfortable, please let me know so that I can apologize and try to get the message across in a different way.  And, please show me the same courtesy I extend to you by keeping your commitments, doing your work, and communicating directly and honestly with me.   Mahalo. -dp

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you

As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...